Montreux musical history in 1973 and more
Golden Rose 1984-1987
Montreux Golden Rose POP Festival 1984
It took 10 years for the organizers of the Golden Rose Festival to decide to modify their event by introducing several innovations. One of them is the creation of the "POP Festival of the Golden Rose" in conjunction with the Golden Rose competition.
The Montreux Palace “Pavillon” has been fully transformed, furnished and decorated into a large TV studio. It is in this room that will be recorded live, during 4 successive evenings, shows to be diffused throughout the world.
The SSR and the BBC have teamed up to make and sell the shows. The recordings are in playback and it is therefore a tape the audience of the Pavillon can hear. The organizers sold each evening fifty seats for the price of CHF 25 .--.
Here is the impressive list of musicians and bands present from 10th to 13th May 1984 in Montreux :
- Queen performs on May 12, a report of their concert is available on the Queen & Montreux page of our Montreux Celebration website
- Roger Daltrey "The Pride you Hide" is the first solo comeback since the dissolution of The Who
- Genesis with "Invisible Touch" and "Anything She Does"
- Elton John, Depeche Mode, Bronski Beat, Level 42, Pet Shop Boys, Electric Light Orshestra, Eight Wonder, Julian Lennon, Big Country, Pretenders, Ballet Spandau, Tracey Ullman, Slade, Kajagoogoo, Rod Stewart, Adam Ant, Madness, Status Quo, Ultravox, The Alarm, Thomas Dolby, Julien Clerc, Duran Duran, Richard Cliff, Nena, Howard Jones, Joan Jett, Gaynor Gloria, Dolly Dots, Bucks Fizz, Bonnie Tyler, Stevens Shakin, UB40, Robin Gibb, Bananarama , Peter Schilling, Nino De Angelo, Cyndi Lauper ....
1985, the 25th Montreux Golden Rose Rock Festival
1985, 25th edition of the Rose d'Or and second year of production and recording performances in playback. This allows a large audience to discover current rock musicians/bands on television and a few privileged to applaud and see them live at the Pavillon de Montreux.
Here is the list of artists who performed in 1985:
- Chris Rea, Men at Work, Dead or Alive, Billy Ocan, Kool and the Gang, Bryan Ferry May 8, 1985
- Culture Club, Dire Straits, Talk Talk, The Pointer Sisters, Philip Bailey & Kenny Loggins, Go West May 9, 1985
- Depeche Mode, Sting, Duran Duran, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Howard Jones, Agnetha May 10, 1985
- Tears for Fears, Shakatak, Paul Young, Bronski Beat, Huey Lewis and the News and Reo Speed Wagon on May 11, 1985
1986, the 26th Montreux Golden Rose Rock Festival
and once again an impressive list of musicians/bands performing in Montreux : (in alphabetical order)
A-HA, Big Country, Billy Ocean, Bryan Adams, Chris Rea, Culture Club, Eighth Wonder, Elvis Costello, Electric Light Orchestra, Eurythmics, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Genesis, Inxs, Joe Jackson, Julian Lennon, Lone Justice, Patti Labelle, Paul Hardcastle, Roger Daltrey, Simply Red, Smokey Robinson, Ballet Spandau, Thompson Twins, Whitney Houston and QUEEN !!!!!
1987, the 27th Montreux Golden Rose Rock Festival
May 15th at Casino Barrière introduced by Mike Smith as part of the Montreux Golden Rose Light Entertainment Festival, pop stars gathered at the Montreux Casino to provide TV's biggest pop music spectacular. The shows are seen in over 75 countries by millions of viewers. Artists include : A-ha, Bananarama, Beastie Boys, Berlin, Blow Monkeys, Boy George, Cameo, Club Nouveau, Cock Robin, Communards, Curiosity Killed the Cat, David and David, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Eighth Woner, Erasure, Bob eorgia Satellites, Lou Gramm, Colin James Hay, Whitney Houston, The Jets, Living in a Box, Level 42, Nick Kamen, Mel and Kim, Mental as Anything, Alison Moyet, Pretenders, Run DMC, Simply Red, Spandau Ballet, Swing Out Sister, Thompson Twins, UB 40, Wang Chung, Kim Wilde, Vesta Williams, Paul Young.
Here is part of an article (Hebdo May 21, 1987) :
Has TV killed rock music ? We answer "yes". Until Genesis struck really hard.
For three years, we repeat, the POP Festival of the Golden Rose of Montreux is just like if rock music has been murdered. Music of violence reduced to appearance, music of revolt subject to the yoke of television. Triumph of the video clip and the look, the cheap and the flashy. The most talented artists are dispossessed of their greatness.
In Montreux, the TSR, the BBC and the American channel TEN combine to shoot "live clips". In front of a stupid or idolatrous audience but this magic formula seems to pay, at the risk of having your head smashed by a camera-crane.
All stars and rockers of the world (they were 56 present this year, veterans and whippersnapper) were playing politely, two songs, three little tricks, we applaud them so much and …they go... thank you.
Kleenex celebrities show their limits, the talented ones are doing their best: Mick Hucknall of Simply Red chilled the audience by singing live with Robert Smith of The Cure and making his sarcastic Gremlin number.
But how sad to hear a slaped cymbal, the loudspeakers to sound unreal, to see saxes waving but inexpressive...
And then came GENESIS. Last survivor of the great english progressive rock period (Yes, King Crimson, ELP ...) this band has not followed an ordinary path. After a long period of absence, Genesis returns on stage presenting Live it's new show in Montreux.
What a slap! What a difference ! And what intelligence !
Montreux Golden Rose Rock Festival 1985
Any partial or complete use of the texts or images on this website are strictly prohibited without the written permission of Montreux Celebration. Do not hesitate to contact us if you find mistakes or to give more informations about this article